Friday, May 13, 2011

May 11, 2011.

You know the term “working stiff?”. Now I totally understand it. After getting back into the swing of working again my body is stiff as hell. The first night I came home and just laid on the couch until it was time to get up, to go to bed.

Since then I’ve gotten used to being part of the working class once again. So once my body adjusted, of course something else came up, the boss at my new job wasn’t pleased with my choice of footwear. He felt that my toes were too vulnerable in my Keens. Whatever, I need the job so its no big deal…..I’ll go back to boat shoes.

By the time my first day wearing boat shoes was over, all the skin was completely gone from the back of both of my feet. As soon as the day was over, I shed my shoes and walked the 20 minutes home barefoot. It’s been years since I’ve had to wear shoes other than Keens and as a result my feet are a bloody oozing mess. I’m really looking forward to this weekend just to give my heels a chance to heal.

But on the bright side, our landlord Jared has lent us a pair of full sized bicycles. That’ll help my feet quite a bit and make life in general much easier.

As every Yin has its Yang, our bright side has its polar opposite. We have to leave our slip. Crap. Jared is a real nice guy and when he dropped by on Sunday evening his demeanor told me something was amiss.

He owns a beautiful home with 11 slips in the backyard. We’re the only liveaboards of the 11 slips. He doesn’t live on the property and he rents the home out. The tenants that are in the house moved in while we were here last year. And even though we were here when they rented the house all of a sudden this year they feel like we’re "invading their privacy" by being here in “their” backyard. I didn’t bitch when they moved into my front yard. WTF?

Jared was not happy when he told us that we had to vacate our slip. Shit. But he did have a possible solution. The first slip down at the edge of the property had just been vacated and if we’d move down there, everybody should be happy. No problem, consider us moved. After Jared left I launched the dink and we went down and sounded the slip for depths. Every thing looked good so tonight was the night for us to move.

The only downside to this new slip was that the outside pilings are only 11 ½ feet apart. We’re 12 foot 10 inches wide so once again we were going to have to be creative. Cool, that’s how we roll.

Our friend Terri was here so we put her to work and she helped fend us out of our old slip. Having an extra set of hands here was great but once again with the whole Yin & Yang thing, she was also witness to us backing out of the slip while forgetting to unplug the shore power cord. At least she’s the only one who knows of our buffoonery. The cord slipped free on its own so the only damage was to my ego.





Since we couldn’t pass between the outside pilings of the new slip I decided we’d back past the slip and pull into it from the side since it was at the end of the dock. I sensed some skepticism amongst the crew but we pulled the maneuver off without a hitch. If I hadn’t forgotten to unplug that damn cord I’d be hard to live with right now.

So now we’re outta sight, outta mind and digging the new view……

8 comments:

TaylorMad1 said...

Love the drawings & get some Gold Bond, my feet hurt just looking at yours, I recommend cold beer & lots of rest, hope they feel better.

S/V Veranda said...

I think a weekend of flip flops and beer would be just about right.

The Admiral said...

Hard to live with? Naaah. I think you should send this entry to Mr. Keen as well as Mr. Sperry.

S/V Veranda said...

LOL. Mr. Keen still hasn't seen fit to reply to our last letter....

Deb said...

That docking maneuver was a thing of beauty. Gonna have to remember that one since we now have a 12'6 beam. Thanks as always for the great ideas!

Deb
S/V Kintala
www.theretirementproject.blogspot.com

RichC said...

Very creative ... few would have been as ingenious.

S/V Veranda said...

Necessity is the mother of invention......

Unknown said...

I know shoes are bad enough, but get a couple pairs of these: http://www.amazon.com/WrightSock-Blister-Double-Coolmesh-Quarter/dp/B000O5WNWO/ref=pd_sbs_a_1

dave
S/V Auspicious