Monday, December 14, 2009

December 13, 2009.

Yesterday we raised the mainsail and sailed off the hook at 0730. The wind was blowing 15 knots out of the east. In less than 2 hours we were starting the engine, dropping sail and heading into the anchorage at Black point.

Our friends on Solitaire, Sapphire and Fine Lion were all there. Christy went into town to do laundry while I took care of a few boat chores. Later in the evening we joined everyone at Lorraine’s for dinner. The food was really good but more than a little expensive.

This morning after taking care of some internet we decided to hit the water. The west side of Eleuthera is fished pretty hard by the locals. So after only being able to take a single Hogfish while there we were eager to try our luck here. We hit Dotham Cut just as the tide started to fill. Christy took me out to the sound end of the cut and I dropped into the water and allowed the tidal flow to propel my body through the cut. Christy stayed in the dinghy and let the tide push her in as well.

Shortly after entering the water we were rewarded with a 9 pound Red Grouper. I saw a depression in the bottom that looked like a promising spot for lobster. I cocked my spear and swept down over the recess and came face to face with this large fish. A quick shot and he was mine. A 4 or 5 pound fish can be a handful when you poke it with a spear. I always shoot at their head figuring that if they bolt they’ll probably move more into the line of fire. This guy never flinched and the spear scored a perfect hit right in his pint sized brain. He was instantly dead, no fight, no struggle, no blood, boom nothing.

After drifting the entire cut I climbed back into the dink and we headed back out to do it again. This time Christy joined me in the water. She attached the dinghy to her waist with a long lanyard so she and it can travel through the cut together. We were able to take another 4 pound Grouper and our first lobster of the year.

2 comments:

TaylorMad1 said...

one of the things I miss not living in Florida is freash grouper, you are living the life!

S/V Veranda said...

Yeah Grouper and Hogfish are both wonderful. I've found that catching them yourself makes em' even tastier.