Tuesday, May 5, 2009

May 5, 2009.

As you probably know Christy and I are big fans of history. The history of some of the places we’ve visited has been just amazing. Since we’re sitting here in Vero we haven’t seen or done anything new, but I did read something that I never knew, so I think I’ll share.

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellman's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. The supposedly unsinkable Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after New York City.

The Mexican people were eagerly awaiting delivery and when the great ship went down, they were disconsolate with the loss. So much so that they declared a national day of mourning which they still observe today. It is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

Sorry for that but it’s Cinco De Mayo, and I really had nothing else to say. There’s a Mexican themed cruisers get together up at the marina this evening so that’s what’s on tap for us. Adios mi amigos.

1 comment:

Far Niente said...

You are sooooo full of it! Mayo that is. LOL