August 16, 2013.
Another week finished. It's a little bizarre how much faster the week flies by when you enjoy your work. It's been glorious waking up to temps in the mid sixties the last few days and it makes everything a bit easier as well.
As far as work goes it was a run of the mill kinda week. Installed some new davits on a sailboat, replaced a few bilge pump float switches, rewired a mast and installed some new stuff here and there. All in all a very pleasant week.
I did formulate an opinion on a subject that I’ve been aware of but had never given serious consideration. I've read multiple opinions that instead of dropping a bundle of money on marine battery cable that its okay to use welding cable as a substitute.
Last week I had to replace some 2/0 cable that ran through the bilge of the ships engine room. The wire was welding cable and the sheathing on the cable was definitely not up to the rigors of a marine environment. After a few years of exposure to diesel and oil the wires covering had turned into Jello. The covering had expanded so that it was 40% larger than the wire it covered and without the support of the covering the wire itself just went limp. I could pinch the wire between my fingers and rip the covering. So my opinion is that you can save money by drinking cheaper rum but you really shouldn't cut corners when it comes to your wiring.
And no matter what wire you choose, either way it really ought to be wired correctly. This was actually a positive cable. I guess the wee piece of red shrink tube at the end was supposed to be the clue. I found this 2/0 cable today that had been stripped WAY back, the terminal was crimped on and the perpetrator tried to cover the 3/4's of an inch of exposed cable with some shrink tubing. Nice.
One good thing about powerboats is that every once in a while you come across a really nice stateroom.
Today I was fortunate enough to encounter the smallest Praying Mantis I had ever seen.