Saturday, January 8, 2011

January 2, 2011.

I don’t usually name my blog posts but I’ve decided to make an exception on this one. I’ll call this one “An Infidel gets to Paradise”.

This very well may be the longest stretch of solitude that I can remember in all the years we’ve been coming to the Bahamas. Actually, in my life. When was the last time you and your spouse were completely alone for 5 days? There’s no AM, no FM, no VHF, no other voice let alone another person; it’s been total solitude and it has been grand.


We left the Black Point settlement on Tuesday and 5 days later we haven’t heard a single call on the radio. We haven’t seen hide nor hair of the occupants of the catamaran that we passed on the way in here on Thursday. We can’t see the spot where they were anchored so for all we know they might not even be here anymore. It’s been absolute bliss.

All good things come to an end though. I know it sounds selfish but we were both so disappointed when in mid-morning on Sunday a sail appeared on the horizon. Soon there was a second and then a third white triangle in the distance. We both sat out on the Mother-in-Law seat and tried to will them away. Either they have REALLY good binoculars and saw us sitting there naked and were repulsed or our mental powers are amazing because one by one they all continued on by. Yeah Baby. They might have gone on to Hog Cay or Cuba for all we know but the one thing I do know is that they ain’t here.

We were still so sore from yesterday’s walk that we decided to do a little snorkeling for shells. We found a bunch of neat shells and sand dollars but Christy found a spectacular Angular Triton in mint condition. After that we ran out to a couple of coral heads near the boat and took a lobster for dinner.

My spear repair is holding up but I’ve had the threaded rod bend under the force of a flapping Hogfish. I’m already planning modifications…..

No comments: