Saturday, March 15, 2008

March 6, 2008

We woke yesterday morning and pulled the boat around to the western side of the cay. The wind was supposed to shift directions and we’d be more protected in the Two Palms anchorage that we enjoyed so much during our last stay here.

Right after we got situated, our friends Packet Inn, Poco Loco and Kokomo all arrived. They anchored here with us in the lee of Flamingo Cay.

In the morning we did some hiking with Mary & Gary from Packet Inn. Later in the day, Lita from Kokomo, joined the 4 of us for a trek to the north anchorage. Mary and Christy did a little snorkeling while Lita, Gary and I walked the beach and did some chatting. Gary kicked one of the

ports on his boat while on deck a few days ago and removed a large chunk of semi important skin so he was trying to give his toe a day off from snorkeling, my toes appreciated the day off as well.

Of course that was yesterday and today is a new day. The first thing we did this morning was to go snorkeling. We took everyone up to the north anchorage as it’s a really pretty spot with good opportunities to spear decent sized fish. Of course, there was also an ulterior motive.

We really wanted to check on the lobster that hid, when I shot his roommate the other day. Mary had ridden over with us in the dinghy and wanted to snorkel a reef in close to the shore. While Christy gave her a ride in to shore I dropped over the side in an attempt to relocate the hole that had yielded the first lobster.

As I made my way towards the hole I spotted a huge Yellow Snapper. I started to stalk him and he made like a Grouper and dove under a ledge to hide. I dove down to see if he was safe or if I had him cornered. When I stuck my head down under the ledge I was shocked to be face to face with a big lobster.

After a quick shot I found myself alone, treading water with a 4 pound lobster on my spear. Luckily, the people from Kokomo came past so I dumped the lobster with them and resumed my quest for the other hole. I found it nearby, but alas it was empty. The lobster I had just killed was probably the one I saw in the hole the other day. So we ended up going back to the big boat with the lobster and 4 Glass Eyed Snappers. The Glass Eyed Snappers are fairly small but are great as a pan fried fish.

No comments: