Sunday, October 21, 2012

October 16, 2012.

Yeah, its official. We're dirt dwellers, albeit temporarily. Because of the stayin' up north due to the whole tearing the boat apart for the refit thing we needed a place to live. Hopefully a place warm enough that I would not have to write a blog post where the words icicles and testicles appear in the same sentence.


We have friends that are heading south for the winter on their sailboat. Fortunately for us they have a lovely home here in Annapolis that they've agreed to rent to us for the winter. So we're moving to Beverly..... Hills that is, swimmin' pools, movie stars. Yeah, yada yada...are there anymore words to that song? I dunno. Yeah, anyway, for the time being we're now officially CLODS (Cruisers living on Dirt).


We thought we'd move in over the course of a few days but the plan accelerated itself a little bit. All my clothes filled 3 cardboard boxes and Christys only filled 4 (not counting shoes of course). Since we were ahead of the curve we grabbed all of our food and headed over to the house. When I say “grabbed our food” I’m talking 2 truckloards.


The townhouse is laid out very much like the townhouse we left behind in New Jersey including a large closet style pantry. Christy started filling the pantry as I lugged boxes of food upstairs and a funny thing happened. Before we knew it every shelf was packed and the pantry was officially full. And we still had a shitload of food in boxes. I guess this is what happens when you stow food in every nook and cranny on the boat; you end up carrying a lot more food than you imagined. Storing can goods under the seating in the living room like we do on the boat would be a little awkward so we'll have to work something else out.


I even found a few surprises. I gave up milk chocolate last year but we took some dark chocolate with us to the Bahamas. I had some every once in a while but was under impression that we had run out so imagine my surprise when I uncovered this little stash. Since it won't fit in the pantry I'm gonna have to take one for the team and eat it all as quickly as possible.


Autumn is happening around us, we're firmly entrenched on land, the boat comes out in a week or so and then the real work begins....

5 comments:

Sabrina and Tom said...

Clods! Love it.

~~_/)~~
Sabrina

Diana said...

I'm volunteering to come up and help you eat the chocolate! Seriously, do you need anything? Do you guys have warm clothes? What can we do to help you?

Chip Estabrooks M/V Scout said...

There goes the neighborhood.

Unknown said...

I don't understand. You had chocolate onboard that you didn't know about? I don't get it. You didn't inventory the chocolate?? This is huge. Clearly there is a problem with the inventory system you've set up. :)

S/V Veranda said...

Yes, CLODS we are

Theres been a surprising number of chocolate eating volunteers

Lol, if they only knew.....honey, theres boater trash right next door

Something about keeping it from the captain for his own good....balderdash says I