Tuesday, January 26, 2010

January 10, 2010.

Everybody who knew that there were bats in the Bahamas….raise your hand. Yesterday, I wouldn’t have raised my hand.

We were settled into a secure anchorage with a 30 knot blow forecast to arrive tonight. Christy and I decided to watch a borrowed movie on our laptop. The movie had just started and we were getting comfortable in the glow of the computer screen when Christy cried out “What the F#%k was that?”. She scared the shit outta me because her exclamation was so sudden and so loud.

I had no idea what she was talking about. The movie had just started, all of a sudden she’s jumping around like a monkey with BenGay on its ass. Finally, in the glow of the computer screen I see a large insect flying across the ceiling of the cabin. Then I catch a second glimpse and realize that it’s not an insect, it’s a freaking bat fluttering around inside the boat. I’m trying to find the light switch and then I’m not sure if I should turn it on or not. It’s something like “red sky at night, bats fly towards the light?” I dunno, wtf? Should I eat one of the garlic cloves and rub some behind my ears, what?

The companionway hatch was closed but the board was out for ventilation and the little bastard flew right in but couldn’t seem to find his way back out. I thought they had radar. Christy was right below the hatch so she stood up and threw back the hatch and flopped down beside me again. After about 10 of the longest seconds ever the little bastard flew back outside. We quickly snapped the bug screen into place across the opening to make sure there wasn’t a return engagement. We hope the dogs will be alive in the morning…………..

2 comments:

goatman said...

Bats???? Garlic Cloves????? Never
heard of that one, lucky Christy was alert to the "Big Bug"...thanks for the SMILE! lol

S/V Veranda said...

The bat made a more lasting impression because I can't remember just what flick we watched.