Thursday, October 8, 2009

October 7, 2009.

Just for the record, the travel lift at the marina had scales that actually worked. We’ve estimated Veranda’s cruising weight to be about 28,000 pounds. We’re only semi loaded and tipped the scales at 32,000 pounds. The empty weight is supposed to be somewhere around 24,000 pounds, so that means we’re carrying about 4 tons of stuff. Damn, that’s a lot of stuff.

We spent the night tied to the dock near the lifting well. I awoke to the patter of rain upon the topsides. The rain wasn’t in the forecast so I fired up the laptop and checked the weather. Hmmm, new forecast.

The rain was gone by 0800 but the forecast was calling for 20 to 25 knots out of the west with gusts to 45. So at 0800 we slipped the lines and headed slowly out of Back Creek. We took our time heading over to Spa Creek because the bridge was closed until 0900. We dawdled a bit and cruised through the naval anchorage to see who’s here.

2 boats caught my eye but for totally different reasons. At first glance I thought this boat was a catamaran but upon closer inspection
it turned out to be a monohull with an identity crisis. It looked to be well done and probably makes a lot of sense; it’s just that it was a little unusual.

It’s not unusual to see people with boats named after their mother, wife or daughter. Not many people realize that my mom’s first name is actually Veranda. Then there's guys like this. This is his fourth boat named Hooter Patrol? Maybe he's the CEO of Hooters or perhaps his mom worked there or maybe he's just nine. Huge boat, musta cost a bunch but I guess money can't buy class. And aaaa, I was lying about moms name but it was an cute story, right?

After transiting the bridge at 0900 we slalomed through the dozens of boats that have anchored in Spa Creek since we left. We dropped the hook in pretty much the only available spot. As soon as we got the hook set we were hailed by the boat tied to my bosses dock. We had finished his repair yesterday and he was heading out so we would be able to jump right back onto the dock.

So the hook came back up and we headed in to side tie to the dock. The wind was starting to build but “Bob” was there to catch our lines and docking went easily.

I was soon on my way to work while Christy did chores on the boat. It seemed that her day was more entertaining than just taking care of some boring old chores. There was dragging going on. She said winds were up into the thirties and MOST of the anchored boats started dragging. She said when one got their hook reset the next boat would start to drag.
Short scope, too many boats, crappy bottom, bullshit technique, whatever, pick your excuse. A lot of people had a pretty harrowing afternoon.

Our friends on Alibi II and Krasna were the only boats within sight that didn’t drag. Even though they were well set they still had to rely on some luck as they were both barely missed by dragging boats. During the height of the blow Christy said that the crews of several boats stood watch on their bows for several hours to monitor the situation.

So we’re back in the water, up the creek and the boat show is upon us.

No comments: