Sunday, July 26, 2009

July 25, 2009.

The Generator Chronicles.

Hello from Spa Creek. I’ve been working a lot and I generally get home in time to eat dinner as it gets dark. As a result I really haven’t had the time necessary to take our generator apart.

I was able to determine that a small adjustment screw was stripped. Unfortunately, the screw is captive in the generator and the only way to access it is to split the case. It’s not something I wanted to do but it is what it is.

Since I have Saturday off I brought all my tools home from work and went to work on the genny. The first thing I had to do was drain the engine oil. While the oil was draining I started some peripheral disassembly. When I pulled the injector pump from the side of the case I was heartbroken as I peered inside.


There in the bottom of the now empty crankcase was a large piece of the generator adjustment casting. Damn. I got it all apart and the screw that I thought was stripped, was indeed. But now instead of drilling it oversized and retaping the hole I’ve got to order the entire arm on Monday. Crap. At least the casting for the arm also includes the screw assembly so it’s like 2 birds with 1 stone. I hope it’s in stock. But then again Fisher Pandas are such unreliable pieces of shit that I’m sure the parts department is well stocked.

The weather here has been partly cloudy with a chance of thunderstorms every night for the last week. We’ve been without a generator for over 2 weeks now and the solar panels have just been able to keep up with the demand. Lately though the sun just hasn’t been cooperating and we need some generating.

Fortunately for us, our magical, jet setting friends from Inamorata are about to head out to do another show. This means that they’ll be gone for several days and their brand new Honda portable generator will be home alone. With an extreme stroke of luck, Christy called them just as they were heading out the door. They had a quick stop to make at the boat and then would be gone until the middle of next week. Christy asked to borrow the Honda, they said “sure, no problem”, I dinghied ashore, jumped in my work truck and met them at their boat.

Of course, as soon as I got back to the boat with the generator we had small craft warnings and a brutal front come through. It started to rain like hell and I didn’t want to run their new generator in the rain so we’ll have to wait until morning to make some power.

Until then Christy and I will sit here with Molly and Tucker and our 2 house guests, Jake and Gus watching it rain. Jake and Gus are a pair of Westies that belong to our friends on Alibi II who are out of town for the weekend. Until they get back and pick up their dogs I shall be known as Noah.....

On a semi interesting side note. Yesterday I got to work on a Downeaster named Alexis that supposedly formerly belonged to Billy Joel. Ya know as in the song, Downeaster Alexis. I was unable to detect any scent of Christie Brinkley. It might have been the same boat or it could have been a powerboater bullshit story, I dunno, either way it was a gorgeous boat.

Post Edit: I just googled up the Downeaster Alexis. It turns out that Billy Joel did have a boat of this type but it is called the Downeaster Alexa not Alexis. F#*king bullshit artist powerboater.....

No comments: